Seven Generations Architecture & Engineering (7AE), seeks a motivated individual to take on the role of Staff Accountant within its diverse working environment. The Staff Accountant will be a member of the 7GAE team at its Kalamazoo, Michigan location. This is a full-time, exempt position which reports to the VP of Operations.
The Staff Accountant position will work closely with our other accounting staff, project managers, clients, and handle day-to-day project accounting activities. This Staff Accountant position is responsible for a variety of project accounting functions for 7GenAE: generating invoices, maintaining and analyzing reports, investigating variances, assisting in payment collection, managing sub-consultants, reviewing and maintaining project financials.
Seven Generations Architecture & Engineering is a Native American owned firm specializing in planning, engineering, architectural, real estate, and environmental services for State, Federal, and Tribal governments. Our philosophy is that each generation is responsible to ensure the survival of the seventh generation. This simple yet holistic concept is our approach toward every aspect of our work.
We bring new technologies into our endeavors while keeping the traditional ways of Native American Indian cultures. Everything about our Core Values is aimed at being the Go-to-Firm for Tribes, Federal, and State agencies for physical infrastructure and real estate development and preservation, while providing long-term career opportunities for Native American Citizens.
Staff Accountant Essential Functions
Typical functions of the Staff Accountant job include, but are not limited to:
- Create and process project invoices and submits invoices to clients monthly
- Review contract budgets and invoicing requirements to coincide with monthly invoicing
- Verifying project set up information and structure
- Setup and update project billing terms to ensure accurate invoicing and reporting
- Review employee timesheets and confirm correct project charge numbers
- Communicate with Project Managers to ensure accurate labor and expenses charges to invoice
- Evaluate and Calculate Work in Progress (WIP) for responsible projects
- Analyze project spent vs. project billed, and other project financial information;
- Assist in client payment collection
- Support Project Managers, VP of Operations, or President with detailed project analysis to determine project performance
- Generate monthly reports and performs analyzing for discrepancies
- Assist and coordinate with auditors when projects are subject to periodic audits and assist external auditors on yearly audits.
- Processing accounts payable and accounts receivable
- Post and reconcile general ledger accounts
- Assist in the preparation of monthly financial statements
- Assist with annual budgeting process
- Verify timekeeping records and consult employees about any discrepancies
- Record payroll data in our software system and verify all amounts prior to initiating direct deposits
- Maintain compliant policies and procedures for processing payroll checks
- Communicate with clients about billing discrepancies and past-due accounts
- Maintain accounting ledgers as required
- Prepare entity’s bank account reconciliations
- Monitor Expense accounts and bank account balances
- Support CPA in gathering data required for financial analysis and preparation of income tax returns
- Prepare and Post daily deposits
- Timely record and pay vendor invoices in accordance with company’s policy
- Resolve inconsistencies in vendor billings directly with the vendors based on the prior agreements
Candidates for this position will be assessed based upon these attributes and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or related field required.
- Five (5) years of accounting experience in a professional services industry required.
- Excellent written and oral communication required.
- Proficient use of Microsoft Office Suite of Programs required
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Advanced skills in MSFT Excel, required.
- Familiarity with Deltek Ajera or Deltek Vision a plus.
- Extreme attention to detail with all projects and tasks and willingness to roll up their sleeves to the job done.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills, ability to meet tight deadlines.
- Ability to maintain positive working relationships with clients and employees. Must have strong interpersonal skills.
- Background check required.
- Experience in a professional consulting firm preferred.
- The Staff Accountant is a full-time, exempt position.
- The Staff Accountant reports to the VP of Operations
- Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience. We offer market compensation through a base salary and performance bonus
Submit your resume and cover letter by email to: [email protected]