Convenience Store Manager
Mno-Bmadsen is the economic development enterprise of the Pokagon Band of Potawatomi. Our mission is to use the tribe’s independence to create businesses for future generations. Our vision is to lead through inspiration and implementation of sustainable businesses to provide opportunities for a better quality of life for our citizens, our employees and our communities for the next seven generations. Our values are the Seven Grandfather teachings: love, wisdom, respect, bravery, honesty, humility and truth.
Mno-Bmadsen is organized as a diversified holding company to invest in, support and manage businesses that meet our investment criteria in pursuit of our mission and vision. To date, the Mno-Bmadsen Family of Companies consists of Seven Generations Architecture & Engineering, WBK Engineering, D. A. Dodd, Accu-Mold and the Bent Tree Market.
The Store Manager is accountable to Mno-Bmadsen (the “Owner”) for managing all facets of the Bent Tree Convenience Store and Gas Station (the “Store”) operations, protecting the Store’s assets and generating the Owner’s expected financial returns and outcomes. The Store Manager has complete profit and loss responsibility.
The following inexhaustive list of duties represent a sample of work routinely performed by the Store Manager:
- Successfully manages Store operations through effective management, scheduling and assigning of employees and following up to ensure expected results are accomplished.
- Maintains a Store staff dedicated to the high quality and customer service of the Store by recruiting, selecting and training employees.
- Accomplishes Store financial performance by planning, monitoring, and appraising job results, including coaching, counseling and disciplining employees as necessary.
- Achieves financial performance by preparing an annual budget and making revenues and conducting expenditures within budget, analyzing variances and taking corrective actions to maintain or exceed budgeted performance.
- Identifies current and future customer requirements by establishing rapport with potential and actual customers and other persons in a position to understand the buying demands of customers.
- Ensures availability of merchandise and services by approving contracts and maintaining inventories.
- Formulates pricing policies by reviewing merchandising activities, implementing targeted sales promotions, authorizing clearance sales and having a thorough understanding of trends.
- Markets merchandise within the community to increase market share and Store revenues by studying advertising, sales promotion and display plans; and analyzing operating and financial statements for profitability ratios.
- Ensures the security of merchandise by implementing security systems and measures, including coordination with the Pokagon Police Department.
- Protects employees and customers by providing a safe and clean Store environment.
- Maintains the stability and reputation of the Store by complying with legal and regulatory requirements.
- Determines marketing strategy changes by reviewing operating and financial statements and departmental sales records.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks and participating in professional societies.
- Maintains high standards of Store operations by initiating, coordinating and enforcing program, operational and personnel policies and procedures.
- Ensure store success by taking initiative and contributing to a team effort with employees.
- Makes orders, conducts bank deposits and books financial information.
- Resolves customer complaints in a timely manner to ensure customer satisfaction.
- Controls labor hours, cash, Store audits inventory and shrinkage.
- Actively negotiates preferred cost of Store goods to maximize margins
- Candidates for the position of Store Manager must meet the following requirements, as demonstrated through past employment, education, testing, or a combination thereof:
- A minimum of three (3) years of store management experience in a convenience store or similar environment required.
- High school graduate or equivalent required. Bachelor’s Degree in Business or Management preferred.
- Excellent customer relationship skills are required.
- Ability to track budget expenses, pricing, vendor relationships and have knowledge of the market served.
- Must be a proficient user of computer and office equipment, including the Microsoft
- Ability, willingness and comfort to engage with customers.
- Ability to develop positive relationships with internal and external customers.
- Strong desire to exceed performance targets and inspire excellence in a team.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to problem solve and work with minimal supervision.
- High-energy, collaborative management experience.
- Professional appearance and demeanor.
- Must be able to work any area of the Store (both inside and out) when needed and to operate a computerized Point of Sale system/cash register.
- Position requires bending, standing, walking and repetitive use of hands and arms the entire workday.
- Must have the ability to lift 10 pounds frequently and up to 50 pounds occasionally.
- Position requires the ability to handle exposure to food and cleaning chemicals on an hourly basis.
- Must have the ability to work a minimum of 45 to 50 hours a week.
- Must have reliable transportation and the ability to be on call 24 hours a day.
- Must manage a number of projects at one time and handle frequent interruptions to meet the needs and requests of customers.
- Must pass drug screening.
- Must pass a background check.
The Store Manager is a full-time, exempt position.
The Store Manager reports to the CEO of Mno-Bmadsen (owner) or its designee and J&H Oil (owner’s management company).
To apply, submit a current resume including professional experience, education and employers, and a brief cover letter which outlines major accomplishments and how you feel you are the best candidate for the position to: firstname.lastname@example.org.